Having fun with your dog should not be limited to fun outside! Whether the weather is awful, or you and your dog are stuck inside for other reasons, we have some great ideas on how to have fun play time with your four legged family member!
Great games often start with great dog toys and we stock the biggest and best range of completely natural and safe dog toys for your four legged friend. You can choose from our ever popular Ovo Egg Toys, or choose from our great range of character dog toys like Maggy the Snake, these great all natural dog toys are a great aid when playing indoors with your dog.
You can find our full range of great range of great dog toys to play with your dog indoors here.
Indoor Games with Your Dog
Playing indoor games with your dog is a great way to keep them mentally and physically stimulated, when you have to be indoors. Here are some fun indoor games to play with your dog:
- Hide and Seek: Hide somewhere in the house and call your dog's name. Let them search for you and reward them with treats or praise when they find you. You can also conceal their favourite dog toys or treats for them to find.
- Fetch:You can play a modified version of fetch indoors using any of your soft dog toys. Make sure there's enough space and no breakable items around.
- Tug of War: Use a strong rope or a dog-specific tug toy for a game of doggy tug of war. Make sure your dog understands the rules and always lets go when you say "drop it" or a similar command.
- Obstacle Course: Create a mini indoor obstacle course using cushions, tunnels made of chairs and blankets, or even cardboard boxes with holes for your dog to crawl through.
- Staircase Fetch: If you have a staircase, you can throw a ball or toy up or down the stairs for your dog to retrieve. Make sure it's a safe and carpeted area to avoid injuries.
- Find the Treat: Hide treats around the house and let your dog to search for them using their most powerful sense, their nose. Start with easy hiding spots and over time you can make it more challenging for them.
- Simon Says: Play a version of "Simon Says" with your dog, giving them commands like "sit," "lie down," or "stay." Reward them with treats for following the commands correctly.
- Indoor Agility: Set up a small agility course with items like cones, tunnels, and jump bars. Guide your dog through the course using treats and praise.
- Name That Toy: Teach your dog the names of their toys and then ask them to bring you a specific toy by name.
- Obedience Training: Use indoor time to work on obedience training and reinforce commands such as sit, stay, and come.
Safe Indoor Play With your Dog
Remember to always prioritise safety when playing indoors with your dog. Remove any hazards and choose toys and games that are appropriate for your dog's size and energy level. Additionally, keep sessions short and enjoyable to prevent your dog from becoming bored or overstimulated. Most importantly have fun with your dog.